掌中英語|看經典文學《簡·愛》學英語,沒錯就從現在開始!

英語 文學 S.H.E 教育 掌中英語 掌中英語 2017-08-27

“掌中看世界,輕鬆學英語”

掌中英語|看經典文學《簡·愛》學英語,沒錯就從現在開始!

"Well, Blanche?" said Lord Ingram.

"嗨,布蘭奇?"英格拉姆勳爵叫道。

"What did she say, sister?" asked Mary.

"她說了什麼啦,姐姐?"瑪麗問。

"What did you think? How do you feel? Is she a realfortune-teller?" demanded the Misses Eshton.

"你認為怎樣?感覺如何?她是個地道算命的嗎?"埃希頓姐妹問。

"Now, now, good people," returned Miss Ingram.

"好了,好了,你們這些好人,"英格拉姆小姐回答道。

Don't press upon me. Really your organs of wonderand credulity are easily excited.

別硬逼我了。你們的那些主管驚訝和輕信的器官,也實在太容易給激發起來了。

You seem, by the importance of you all — my good mama included — ascribe to this matter,

你們大家 — 也包括我的好姐姐 — 都那麼重視這件事

absolutely to believe we have a genuine witch in the house, who is in close alliance with theold gentleman.

似乎絕對相信這屋子裡真有一個與惡魔勾結的巫婆。

I have seen a gipsy vagabond. She has practised in hackneyed fashion the science of palmistryand told me what such people usually tell.

我見過一個吉卜賽流浪者。她用陳腐的方法操弄著手相術,告訴我她們那些人往往會怎樣給人算命。

掌中英語|看經典文學《簡·愛》學英語,沒錯就從現在開始!

My whim is gratified.

我已經過了解。

And now I think Mr. Eshton will do well to put the hag in the stocks tomorrow morning, as hethreatened.

現在我想埃希頓先生會像他恫嚇過的那樣,行個好,明天一早把這個醜老婆子銬起來。

Miss Ingram took a book, leant back in her chair, and so declined further conversation.

英格拉姆小姐拿了本書,身子往椅背上一靠,不願再和別人交談了。

I watched her for nearly half-an-hour.

我觀察了她近半個小時。

During all that time she never turned a page,

這半個小時內她沒有翻過一頁書。

and her face grew momently darker, more dissatisfied, and more sourly expressive ofdisappointment.

她的臉色一瞬間變得更陰沉、更不滿,更加憤怒地流露出失望的心情來。

She had obviously not heard anything to her advantage.

顯而易見她沒有聽到過對她有利的話。

And it seemed to me, from her prolonged fit of gloom and taciturnity, that she herself,

她那麼久久地鬱郁不歡、沉默無語,倒似乎使我覺得,

notwithstanding her professed indifference, attached undue importance to whateverrevelations had been made her.

儘管她表白自己不在乎,其實對女巫所昭示的,過份重視了。

Meantime, Mary Ingram, Amy and Louisa Eshton, declared they dared not go alone, and yetthey all wished to go.

同時,瑪麗·英格拉姆、艾米和路易莎。埃希頓表示不敢單獨前往,卻又都希望去試試。

A negotiation was opened through the medium of the ambassador, Sam.

通過薩姆這位使者的斡旋,她們開始了一場談判。

掌中英語|看經典文學《簡·愛》學英語,沒錯就從現在開始!

相關推薦

推薦中...