最震撼人心的英文演講:一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

英語 現代汽車 教育 高中英語修行人 2018-12-07

如果你用爬樹能力來斷定一條魚有多少才幹, 它整個人生都會相信自己愚蠢不堪。每一分鐘用來與他人比較,與外界追趕的時間,都是失去創造自己價值的時間。每個人,都是天才。不要強迫我們的孩子,成為一條奮力爬樹的魚。

最震撼人心的英文演講:一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

Albert Einstein once said, everybody's a genius. . .

愛因斯坦曾說,每個人都是天才……

But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

但如果你以爬樹能力來評斷一條魚,它將一輩子相信自己是個笨蛋。

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, today on trial we have modern day schooling.

陪審團的各位女士們先生們,今天我要控告"現代教育制度"。

Glad you could come.

很高興你們能前來。

Not only does he make fish climb trees but also makes them climb down and do a 10 mile run.

他不僅讓魚爬樹,他還讓魚爬下來,參加長跑比賽。

最震撼人心的英文演講:一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

Tell me school, are you proud of the things you've done?

告訴我,學校,你是否對自己的所作所為感到驕傲?

Turning millions of people into robots, do you find that fun?

將無數莘莘學子變成機器人,你覺得很好玩嗎?

Do you realize how many kids relate to that fish?

你知道有多少孩子成了那條魚嗎?

Swimming upstream in class, never finding their gifts, thinking they are stupid, believing they are useless.

在班級中力爭上游,找不到自己的天賦所在,覺得自己很笨,認為自己是沒用的人。

But the time has come, no more excuses.

但是時候到了,不要在找藉口。

I call school to the stand and accuse him of killing creativity, individuality and being intellectually abusive.

我要求與被告進行答辯,我要控告學校謀殺創意,個體性,以及濫用智商。

He's an ancient institution that has outlived his usage.

他是一個早已酸腐的過時機構。

So your honour, this concludes my opening statement and if I may present the evidence of my case, I will prove it.

庭上,我的開場陳述已結束,請求繼續提出我方的相關事證。

Proceed.

請舉證。

最震撼人心的英文演講:一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

Exhibit A: Here's a modern day phone, recongnise it?

物證A:這是現代手機,大家都認得吧?

Here's a phone from 150 years ago, big difference right?

這是一百五十年前的電話,差很多對吧?

Stay with me.

請注意看。

Here's a car from today and here's a car from 150 years ago.

這是現代汽車,而這是一百五十年前的馬車。

Big difference right? Well get this.

也差很多對吧,看好了。

Here's a classroom of today and here's a class we used 150 years ago.

這是現代學校中的教室,這是一百五十年前的教室。

Now ain't that a shame?

是不是覺得有點丟臉?

In literally more than a century, nothing has changed.

確確實實地過了超過一個世紀,沒有任何改變。

Yet you claim to prepare students for the future?

你們卻宣稱學校的存在是為了讓學生為未來做好準備?

But with evidence like that I must ask.

但是證據在此,我不禁要問。

Do you prepare students for the future? Or the past ?

你們的存在是為了讓學生為未來做好準備?還是為過去?

最震撼人心的英文演講:一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

I did a background check on you and let the records show that you were made to train people to work in factories.

我做了背景調查,請記錄下來,你們原本是為了訓練人們進入工廠工作而創立的。

Which explains why you put students in straight rows nice and neat.

這也解釋了為何你們讓學生一排排整整齊齊地就坐。

Tell them sit still. Raise your hand if you wanna speak.

叫他們安靜坐好,要講話要舉手。

Give them a short break to eat and for eight hours a day tell them what to think. Oh, and make them compete to get an A.

給他們短暫的休息時間去吃飯,一天八個小時告訴他們只能思考什麼。哦還有,讓他們為了得到"A"而競爭。

Letter which determines product quality.

一個用來衡量商品好壞的字母。

Hence grade A of meat.

所以叫A級肉品。

I get it.

我能瞭解。

Back then times were different. We all have a past, I myself am no Gandhi.

時代不同,人都有過去,我也不是聖雄甘地。

But today we don't need to make robot zombies.

但是現代的社會不需要殭屍機器。

The world has progressed and now we need people who think creatively, innovatively, critically, independently with the ability to connect.

社會在進步,現在我們需要的是思考上有創意,有新意,有批判性,能獨立,能夠創造連結的人才。

See every scientist will tell you that no two brains are the same.

每位科學家都會告訴你每個人的大腦都是獨一無二的。

最震撼人心的英文演講:一條魚,不該被迫去爬樹

And every parent with two or more children will confirm that claim.

而每一對擁有2個或者更多孩子的父母都能證明這點。

So please explain why you treat students like cookie cutter frames or snapback hats.

所以,請你告訴我,為什麼你們把學生當成是餅乾模具或者是後扣帽。

Giving them this 'one size fits all' crap.

塞給他們"一視同仁"的狗屁。

Watch your language. Sorry your honour.

注意你的用詞。抱歉,庭上。

What if a doctor prescribe the exact same medicine to all of his patients. . The results would be tragic.

如果一位醫生開給所有病人的藥全都一模一樣,後果根本不堪設想。

So many people would get sick yet.

多少人會因此病得更嚴重。

When it's comes to school, this is exactly what happens.

但是換成教育制度,這正是現在正在發生的事情。

This. . . educational malpractice.

這是,教育上的誤診。

Where one teacher stands in front of 20 kids, each one having different strengths, different needs, different gifts, different dreams.

一位教師站在二十位學生面前,每一位都擁有不同的優點,不同的需求,不同的天賦,不同的夢想。

And you teach the same thing the same way? That's horrific!

而你卻用同樣的方式教導同樣的東西?太可怕了。

Ladies and Gentlemen the defendant should be acquitted. This may be one of the worst criminal offenses ever to be committed.

各位,被告不應該無罪釋放。這可能是人類史上犯下的最嚴重的罪行。

Unless you mention the way you treat your employees. . .

再來談談你如何對待你的員工……

Objection! Overruled! I wanna hear this.

抗議!抗議無效!我想聽聽看。

It's a shame.

真的很遺憾。

I mean teachers have the most important job on the planet yet they're under paid?

教師可以說是社會上最重要的工作,但他們卻未得到相應的薪資。

No wonder so many students are short changed.

難怪學生也沒獲得應有的教育。

Let's be honest.

讓我們誠實一點。

Teachers should earn just as much as doctors.

教師的薪資應該跟醫生一樣高。

Because a doctor can do you heart surgery, and save the life of a kid.

因為醫生能夠動心臟手術拯救孩子的生命。

What a great teacher can reach the heart of that kid and allow him to truly live.

而好的老師能夠觸碰到孩子的內心,讓他活出自己的生命。

See teachers are heroes that often get blamed but they're not the problem.

教師是常被責難的英雄,但問題不是出在他們。

They work in a system without many option or rights.

他們是在沒有太多選擇或權利的體制下工作。

Curriculums are created by policy makers.

學校課程都是由政策制定者制定的。

Most of which have never taught a day in their life.

其中大部分他們可能這輩子都沒教過書。

Just obsessed with standardized tests. . . they think bubbling in a multiple choice question will determine success.

只會把標準化測驗當萬靈丹……他們認為只要狂做多重選擇題就能帶來成功。

That's outlandish.

這太奇怪了。

In fact these tests are too crude to be used, and should be abandoned.

事實上這些測驗是粗糙到不堪使用,應該被廢棄。

But don't take my word for it, take Frederick. J. Kelly.

聽我的不算數,聽聽看Frederick.J.Kelly怎麼說的吧。

The man who invented standardized testing, who said. . . And I quote.

他是標準化測驗之父,他就是這麼說的,我來引述一下。

There tests are too crude to be used and should be abandoned.

這些測驗粗糙到不堪使用,應該被廢棄。

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury.

陪審團的各位女士們先生們。

If we continue down this road, the results will be lethal.

這條路繼續走下去將是條不歸路。

I don't have much faith in school, but I do have faith in people.

我對學校沒什麼信心,但我對人們有信心。

And if we can customize healthcare, cars, and Facebook pages, then it is our duty to do the same for education.

如果我們能客製化健保,汽車,臉書專頁,我們就有責任也對學校進行客製化。

To upgrade it. Change it.

更新,改變它。

Do away with school spirit, cos that's useless.

不要再頌揚校魂,因為那沒什麼用處。

Unless we are working to bring the spirit out of each and every student.

除非我們能燃起每一位學生的學習之魂。

That should be our task.

那才是我們的任務。

No more common core, instead. . . Let's reach the core of every heart in every class.

不要再"共同核心標準了",深入每個學童的內心才是我們該做的。

Sure math is important, but no more then art or dance.

數學固然重要,但藝術與舞蹈也同等重要。

Let's give every gift an equal chance.

平等對待每一種天賦才能。

I know this sounds like a dream but countries like Finland are doing impressive things. They have shorter school days.

我知道這聽起來痴人說夢,但芬蘭等國家便已擁有了了不起的教育制度。他們的授課日數短。

Teachers make decent wage.

教師的薪資較合理。

Homework is non-existent and they focus on collaboration instead of competition.

沒有家庭作業,他們注重的是合作,而不是競爭。

But there's the kicker boys and girls.

但是出人意外的是。

Their educational system outperforms every other country in the world.

他們的教育體制帶來的成效比全世界任何一個國家都要好。

Other places like Singapore are succeeding rapidly.

其他國家像是新加坡也正在快速崛起。

Schools like Montessori. Programs like Khan Academy.

蒙特梭利學校。可汗學院計劃。

There is no single solution, but let's get moving.

沒有單一的解決之道,但讓我們向前進吧。

Because while students may be 20% of our population.

因為學生雖然只佔總人口的百分之二十。

They are 100% of our future.

他們是這個社會未來的百分之百。

So let's attend to their dreams and there's no telling what we can achieve.

讓我們呵護他們的夢想,即使未來不可捉摸。

This is a world in which I believe. . . A world where fish are no longer forced to climb trees.

我相信這是一個……一個魚不應該再被逼迫去爬樹的世界。

I rest my case.

我的陳述完畢。

相關推薦

推薦中...